Friday, January 20, 2017

Clams on the table

I have bought some clams from the weekly market in my area last week. I never cooked them personally but somehow my first instinct was "buy first, think later!" Lol. Anyway, it has been a while since I ate them so I were kind of excited to see them available that evening.

So, how should I prepare the clams for my dinner the next day?? Should I steam them?? Cook them in soup? Stir fry? Finally I decided to steam them. A simple and basic Chinese steaming recipe for the clams.

I prepared the clams first, i.e. brushed the shells, washed and soaked them before threw them into the freezer. The next day, I just let them thaw in the fridge before I cooked them.


Ingredients:
Clams, brushed, cleaned and soaked for 30 minutes or so
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 ginger slices
1 shallot, sliced
1 chili padi, sliced thinly

Sauce (mix well):
2 tbsp shao xing wine
1 tbsp light soy sayce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp water




Methods:
1. In a heated pan, add in some cooking oil. Once it is hot, add in the garlic, shallot, ginger and chili padi. Saute till they are fragrant.
2. Drizzle the ingredients onto the clams. Toss in the sauce mix.
3. Once the steaming wok is ready, steam the clams for about 10 minutes or until they are cooked. Serve hot.

My simple Chinese steamed clams were ready to be served on the table.


Weren't they gorgeous and delicious-looking?? I were happy that they were fresh and everyone (including the kids) tasted and enjoyed this.


14 comments:

PH said...

I am sure your steamed clams were delicious! To be honest, I am not much of a fan of clams, there's more shells than meat. But I do eat them when eating out.

Agnes CF Lee said...

I have never bought nor cook any clams so far. I will try one or two from the buffet table if available.

suituapui said...

Eeeekkkkk!!!! My worst nightmare!!! Feasted on two big plates of these at a Ramadhan buffet in a hotel in KL all by myself...and had my first ever gout attack at 2 a.m. in the morning. Would be very very careful with these things since.

Reanaclaire said...

I also never buy clams for many years already! These clams are heavy weight, right? I remember last time when I was young, my siblings and I used to play with the clam shells after the meal... we washed it and then crashed the shells against one another using our palm and see who has the strongest shell of them all... hahaha...

Nancy Chan said...

I love clams. These are good for steaming, stir fries and soup also. Your steamed clams for sure is delicious! But these clams has more shell than meat.

mun said...

i like to eat clams too. your steamed clams look so fresh and delicious!

Libby said...

Wow! Looks good!

Ezvina said...

Nice and easy. Thanks for sharing.

Blackswan said...

Gosh, I love eating clams too! xoxo

Hayley said...

Looks delicious! Something I love eating once a while ;)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

If me, i will also buy first, then google for ideas on how to cook it... hehe...

Królowa Karo said...

I never cooked clams. It big challenge for me.

Green Thumb said...

It's my husband's favorite. I've been missing it out for a while too.

Sharon D. said...

Oh-so-yummy...it's been a long time since I last had clams. Going to hunt for some soon!