Friday, July 18, 2014

Bowl of balls

Not any kind of balls but my all time favourite. Fish Balls and Meat Balls!!! I love a good bowl of tasty and springy handmade fishballs and meatballs.

If in Kuching, I would advise you to drive to the old Batu Kawa town (across the Batu Kawa river) for its famous authentic handmade and homemade meat balls. There is one stall I like the most.  It is right next to the small roundabout when you enter the old town.  The stall is a wooden type and it has been there for decades.  Love its bowl of clear soup and meaty balls and they are served with your choices of kolok mee, mihun or kuaw tiaw.

As for fish balls, there is one shop along the road to Bau that serve great fish balls soup. I am not sure of its exact location but I think it is still operating. Remember they are generous with the amount of home made fish balls and nice chilli sauce. My dad brought me once there.

But I am not in Kuching, so I can only dream of those meat balls and fish balls soups for now from miles away!  Must have them when I am back in September!!


My girl posed for me

Many assortment of dim sum


Few nights ago my sil suggested to try out this place as she heard they serve nice fish balls soup. They have dim sum too but that would be another day. For now, we are eyeing their fish balls.


I did not understand why they called this a Tang Hoon Foochow Fishball soup! I thought it was something unique with such name so that was why I ordered in first place. After all, glass noodle was my favourite.

But came out, it was just a plain yong tau fu soup! What so Foochow about it??

The kids shared this stewed chicken noodles which tasted like kampua with soy sauce. I think my sil enjoyed her noodle the most; she had mushroom noodle with a bit of sambal init. This noodle was slightly spicy.


As for the side dishes, we ordered a deep fried chicken fillet, Taiwan sausages and deep fried fish dumplings.


Out of the 3 dishes, the chicken fillet was the most disappointment. Tasteless and hard to bite. Too dry.

I quite enjoyed the sausages although I tasted a better one before.

The fish dumplings were alright; a bit too salty as they added too much seasoning I think. I can see the seasoning on the serving plate!

Saw many customers ordered its dim sum so I guess the dim sum is better than the fish noodles. Hmm, look like the dim sum is the main attraction here. Hope they tasted better than what we had. That will be another food adventure in another day!

The fish balls here? Cannot beat the one in Kuching! Sigh!

13 comments:

Ezvina said...

aiyo..these are all my kids favourite. Mine more to 'orang tua' taste.

Princess Ribbon said...

All my favourite.. Fried stuffs! Well, who doesn't like? I can eat fried stuff for one whole month everyday, haha..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Also my favourite, hehe...

suituapui said...

Foochow fish balls are those fish balls with minced meat inside. You would have those in your "yong tofu"!

suituapui said...

I am not a fan of those fish balls but they do seem to be so very popular. People will queue up for miles to buy at the cultural/food festival. Dunno why they cannot just come here to buy - same people making and selling. So silly!

suituapui said...

Been there a few time but I never had the noodles there, just the dim sum...and I never had any of the items you ordered. Check out my posts on the place to see what I had. Hehehehehehe!!!!

trishie said...

Drooling! I love fishballs so much. Your little girl is gorgeous.

Rose world said...

Yes it does have minced meat in my fish ball. Dont like it.

mun said...

I think they may have forgotten to put tang hoon into the soup. That happened to me once, they forgot to put certain food ingredients into the food.

Merryn said...

Tang Hoon without the glass noodles! Lol! Apa nih? hahahahaha...

ahlost said...

this would be a great place for my papa. I guess he would love all the food you posted.

and he loves Batu Kawa meat balls too !!!

Hayley said...

OMG, seeing food picts at this late hour..... :p

I love fishballs, so does Aden!

Sharon D. said...

Phew! You are a real food explorer, Rose. I think you'd make a great 'Jalan-jalan Cari Makan' host ;)