Monday, January 20, 2014

No fun anymore

It is tough to be kids nowadays. Once they entering schools, fun seemed to come hard. Not much times to play.

For instance, I find it tough for my 5yo to cope with his school works. A lot of writing and copies, plus spelling and dictation every week. Being a 5yo boy, we expected him to be playful and not attentive to school works. Every day he will bring back few exercise books to finish and I am having some "tug of war" with him to finish at his own will.

I cannot imagine what will happen when he is going to primary school. The sister also have her busy schedule and school works. Tuition and Kumon twice a week and music class on Wednesday, so she has her hands full in afternoon on weekdays. Only some breathing time on weekend if she has no test or finished up her works earlier. So I do not mind her having some time watching tv and play with the brother on weekend. Even on weekday she still have time to watch her drama series after school. Now she watches Philippines drama Indonesian and Korean drama. More a couch potato than the dad! So you can see, both kids so look forward to Saturday and Sunday all the times.

A look at her Kumon exercise. It has been almost 2 months since the 1st Kumon class. She has done her addition and substraction exercises up to digit 100. She is getting better with Maths I can see.

I do not know whether it is right approach but as a parent, we hope to give the best to our children so they can thrive in the future.

12 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

Her Kumon exercise looks like a lot of work for a small kid, hehe..

But I agree with you, as a parents we want to give the best to the kids. I have seen people who send their kids to swimming classes, taekwando classes and other enrichment classes, not to mention there's tuition daily from 7pm-9pm..

Hang on there.. I think the kids will get used to it after a few weeks.. Soon they will know the parents do all these for their own good :)

Jas said...

act im sympathy the kids nowadays... as a parent (eventho im not a parent yet) in most time we dont want them to be left behind... but with this, they also need sacrifice their childhood d... im lucky during my childhood time i can still can have my wonderful afternoon nap and play around with my sibling and friends during evening.. hehe... yet, this doesnt make me a loser today~ haha

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Nowadays kids are very stress...

Shereen said...

For that very reason, I moved to NZ.. best decision I've ever made. My son totally enjoyed his remaining childhood and he told me that he's very thankful that we, his parents have given him that gift:)

suituapui said...

Precisely!!! But parents' expectations to blame too! Kindy , no books, no exams...singing and dancing and playing - they move their kids to another kindy and tell everyone how lousy that one is.

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ said...

Kids should have fun. Your kids are great. :)/

ChrisAu said...

Can't help it ! You will be worry if they cannot catch up with the rest. Guess it's their life in this generation.

Sharon D. said...

You're doing a great job, Rose. Your kids will turn out to be fine adults ^.^

Azura Chan said...

Poor them..But it's their 'era'. I'm sure they know how to search for fun times while coping with busy schedule.

cre8tone said...

Not only the kids are tension, we as the parent also turut tension, kan?

Sherry Go Sharing said...

wow he's in kumon already, hehe.. dont know when mine will start.. my toddler refuse to learn write n speak. :(

mun said...

Ya, parents can only do what they think is best.